Tuesday, August 28, 2007

She's Gone...Previously entitled THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES LEAVE FOR SF STATE





LOL This is what it looks like when MY girl goes away to college...she needed the Hockey bag to hold shoes...what else? This past year has been so hard on me anticipating her leaving home for the big ol' world. The days and weeks leading up to this day, I could barely look at her without tearing up because I knew how much I was going to miss her. Her smiles, her daily hugs, her huge laugh...I'm really going to miss it all.


So I fully expected to cry the whole way there, cry while I was helping her unpack and set up her dorm room, and cry even harder when I was leaving her there. It wasn't that bad. I was able to hold it together and so was she, for the most part. She already knew her roommate Elissa from a previous fashion class, so at least she didn't have to move in with a complete stranger.


She's been gone a week tomorrow. I have cried every day, but not as much as I thought I would. I miss her as much as I thought I would, but I love talking to her on the phone...hearing her stories of all of the new friends she is making, sharing her new life with me. Vic says he has talked to her more since she's gone than he ever did when she was here...she was such a whirlwind...always going somewhere or getting ready for the next event. Now, we are the people on the other end of the phone...and she appreciates us when we are talking to her...that's a good thing! I love her so much, and know she is going to be so good at this next phase of her life! Just as she always has in the past, she'll find a way to conquer this college world! and if I know my girl, she'll have the time of her life doing it!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww..(((hugs))) I would totally be bawlling too! That would be so hard to be both excited and sad at the same time...I think my head would just start spinning and pop right off! LOVE all the photogaphs...thanks so much for sharing! xoxo
Love ya,
K

Angelica Turner said...

Laura, you made me cry :(, they just grow too fast. Everyone keeps telling me next thing I know Maria will be graduating from HS, she's just starting preschool next week, it'll be interesting. Hang in there, hopefully it will get easier.
Take care.

miss morgan... said...

awwwww she is so lucky to have such an awesome mom! i'm sure you will send amazing care packages! haha. she is probably having soooo much fun!

Breanne Crawford said...

aww you are such a good mom!!!

i am just barely coping with my sister leaving. i cant imagine actually being the mom!

Anonymous said...

She is so lucky to have you and Vic. What awesome parents you both are. College will be the best time of her life.

Nancy

Anonymous said...

awww, hang in there Laura! :)

Kim Faucher said...

Hang in there... I actually remembering becoming closer friend to my mom once I left the "nest" so to speak... and each milestone, you will become closer still.. you can just tell.. still... as a momma, I can just sense how hard it must be... good that you have scrapbooking to be able to express all that down... she would probably love to read all that one day as she sends her kiddos off to college!
Peace , my friend... and give SF a big hug for me..
a fellow californian...
kim

Kimberly said...

I know how you feel. I went through this last year with 2! It does get better and your relationship will be blessed!

Sue said...

You're lucky to have such a special relationship with her!! It's a growing experience for both daughter and mother - you'll be amazed at her maturity after her first year. And, believe it or not, she will actually start to APPRECIATE YOU!! :)

Aubrey said...

OH Laura~

I cried reading this post... I just can't imagine my girls leaving, and yet, it's less than 4 years away.

Email me...

Aubrey